Refugees Welcome! accepts applications to join our Leadership Team on a rolling basis and considers adding new Leadership Team Members depending on current needs. Our Leadership Team Members have various backgrounds including academia, advocacy and activism, and service organizations, and are united by a commitment to the values embodied in our mission.
Leadership Team Members typically commit to serving for two years on a specific team (Research, Communications, Capacity Building, Technology, or Grant Writing and Fundraising), for which they lead and develop projects. All Leadership Team Members are required to attend monthly Leadership Team meetings and may have responsibilities supervising interns or research fellows.
Refugees Welcome! is currently searching for two to three Leadership Team Members to assist the organization in the Capacity Building Team and the Grant Writing and Fundraising Team, and to help us work towards the overall long-term success of our mission.
Potential Leadership Team Members should have the following knowledge and skills:
- A basic understanding of migration issues and exhibit compassion for those most at risk of exploitation;
- Some level of knowledge of the political landscape within Boston;
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills;
- Self-motivation and accountability.
Applicants with grant writing, finance, administration, design (website, publisher etc.) skills, and/or understanding of local organizations and their needs will be prioritized.
If you’re interested in being a Leadership Member, please review our current available position for the Director of Research (below) and the Grant Writing and Fundraising Team and email your cover letter and resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Available position: Director of Research
Refugees Welcome! is looking for a Massachusetts-based professional to join our Leadership Team. We aim to strengthen and streamline immigrant and refugee services in the greater Boston area by acting as a networking platform and information hub. Our Leadership Team consists of passionate volunteers with various backgrounds including research and academia, community activism, and service organizations, and we are united by a commitment to the values embodied in our mission.
The Director of Research is responsible for managing and editing Research Team projects such as research reports, research-based blogs, infographics, and other informational pieces created by our research fellows.
- M.A. Degree (or in the process of receiving a master’s degree)
- Strong research and academic writing skills;
- Strong editing skills;
- Project management experience;
- A demonstrated understanding of migration issues and some level of knowledge of the political landscape within Boston;
- Collaborative working style and interpersonal communication skills;
- Self-motivated and driven;
- Any combination of formal training/education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform position duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Propose, oversee and manage research projects that contribute to the mission of Refugees Welcome!. Examples of previous projects include research papers, New in Research blogs, tools/guides created in collaboration with the Technology or Communications Team, infographics, etc.;
- Develop and coordinate systems that support the goals set out by the Research Team, and manage team deadlines;
- Collaborate with the Communications Team to publish research projects and contribute to the quarterly newsletter;
- Attend monthly Leadership Team meetings at our office on the UMass Boston campus (meetings are held virtually for the time being);
- Meet with the Executive Director and/or Assistant Director semesterly to review team goals and accomplishments and plan for upcoming activities;
- Mentor and supervise 1-2 research fellows (typically begins after the first semester);
- Meet with research fellows on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.
Please note that this is a part-time and unpaid volunteer position. This is ideal for graduate students looking to gain research and leadership experience related to immigrant and refugee services. As a member of the Leadership Team, you will commit to a 2-year term overseeing the Research Team. This position requires a 8-10 hr/week time commitment.
To apply, please send a 3-5 page writing sample, cover letter, and resume to email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, but those submitted by Friday August 13th, 2021 will be given priority.